Friday, April 15, 2011

Willits B.E.A.N.S

Okay, so this is my first blog so bear with me.
My name is Megumi, I'm a junior in high school and I've work for B.E.A.N.S (Better Eating Activity and Nutrition for Students) for a little over a year now. I love it. I get to educate elementary and middle school kids about the benefits of eating well and exercising while making new friends.
When I started out I was stationed at Bechtal Grove Middle School and there were only three students! It was a little discouraging but the three kids that came were enthusiastic about B.E.A.N.S and it all worked out. The lessons I taught at Bechtal Grove were a little more casual since the kids already knew about all the preservatives and food substitutes they put into processed foods. Then the following year when I returned, the B.E.A.N.S group grew! It was exciting. Our lessons were soon filled with a bunch of energetic kids shooting their hands up to answer questions and comment about the food we were making that day. Then those comments became more in depth discussions about why they eat a particular way or how their families' eating habits effect them.
However, as you can imagine we didn't have these discussions with the younger kids. Instead we had to think of new and innovative ways to get the students interested into healthier foods. These younger kids had no problem eating fruits, just like the middle schoolers, but once veggies were introduced they shut their mouths, locked the door, and threw away the key. Okay, I'm exaggerating a little bit but that's pretty much what happened. These kids were so close-minded about vegetables for some reason. I mean they ate their basic potato and carrot but that was basically it.
I did some thinking and realized that when I was younger and about their age I didn't want to try vegetables either because either, one, my friends would make fun of me or two, I just had a bad experience with the vegetable and never wanted to try it again. Now, my B.E.A.N.S team and I are trying to encourage trying the vegetables again or just try it for the first time.
Once the kids actually ate the vegetable in a new recepie they were excited to eat it again. Now, it's up to the parents to supply their children with these healthier alternatives and hopefully they do.
Well, the smell of a new exotic recipe is calling me, but thanks for reading and i'll be back to write more blogs about the B.E.A.N.S team. Stay tuned!

Megumi

No comments: