Friday, April 29, 2011

BEANS Teens... Putting Our Heads Together for a Healthier Community

Hi everyone! I'm back. If you didn't get a chance to read my last blog, I'll fill you in. My name is Megumi and I've been working for BEANS for over a year.


Last Friday, on April 22nd, our BEANS team and many other local gardeners from Willits gathered together at the Willits Community Garden to tend to the garden plots. It was fun.


I'd never been a big gardener, but my mom used to grow a variety of veggies when I was younger. I'd help plant the seeds, along with my sister and brother. So, last Friday, when I was in the garden digging and pulling weeds, memories of my childhood came flooding back to me. Memories of my siblings and I trying to freak each other out by scooping up the long pink worms with our shovels and flicking them at one another. I know it sounds cruel, but hey, we were kids, cut us some slack. Memories like this and many others that stick with you throughout your life start with something simple.

Anyway, on Friday, our team cleaned up some of the garden beds by pulling weeds and then we started to work in our own garden plot. We didn't exactly get too far, but it was a start. Soon we'll see shiny green sprouts and blossoming flowers breaking through the earth!




Megumi, BEANS teen peer educator

No comments: