Monday, February 23, 2009

Brookside Farm newsletter Feb 23, 2009

Greetings CSA Family and Friends!

My computer sits at a table next to a bay window and I can look up from the screen and watch the rain. It is a warm storm, with gusty winds, currently to the north, sending the spray sideways.

My rain gauge says nearly 3 inches have fallen in the past few days. I think this means we have had a normal February. I can hear Willits Creek roaring behind the farm. The sound of runoff is soothing as previous rains seemed only to sink into thirsty soil.

Pick Up Date, Place and Time. Tuesday, February 24th, (that’s tomorrow) at my house, 4-6 pm.

I am probably going to be heading down to the farm today and dig out some parsnips and Jerusalem artichokes. It will be soggy! Tomorrow I will harvest the greens and leeks. Onions and potatoes will come out of storage.

This month has been less physically active than in January, when it seemed like spring. Time indoors was spent finishing the planning charts and ordering seeds. I started working in the greenhouse, doing basic cleaning, organizing and making potting soil. Today I plan to get some lettuce going for planting in about 1 month. Sometime between now and then I need to prepare the bed space for said lettuce. I need a break in the weather to do bed prep, and I look forward to that but with mixed feelings since a break in the weather means it is not raining, which I want it to do almost continuously for a couple of months. So what do I really want?

In Other News. Bill and Marilyn Boosinger were fantastic helpers with last month’s harvest. David and Ellen Drell came by to assist with winter maintenance of vines and artichokes. David and I also set up some fence extenders that should thwart the deer. Roger Wilson is working on a bike trailer that will replace my old Burley. The worm bins are extremely active thanks to food scraps from Mendonesia CafĂ©. I estimate about 2000 lbs of worm castings will be ready to use this spring and summer.

Cooking Tips.
My family makes copious use of winter greens in two ways. Way 1: Simmer coarsely chopped kale, chard and tree collards in a covered pot in chicken broth, salt and pepper to taste. Way 2: Puree greens in blender or food processor and add to soups. The latter is an incredibly sneaky method of feeding children all their veggies. “Look kids! Green potato soup!”

Soakingly Yours,

Jason

No comments: