Thursday, January 29, 2009

Brookside Farm newsletter Jan. 27, 2009

Greetings CSA Family and Friends!

Welcome to the new year of food goodies from Brookside Farm--the only CSA in Willits, cultivating Class I prime farmland, Felix Loam soil at Brookside Elementary School. This is probably a good time to review farm guidelines, protocols, “rules,” etc. as we have some new members and the old-timers may need reminding…I know I do, just ask my wife.

Brookside Farm has produce available on Tuesdays, weekly during the main season (probably sometime in late April to May) and monthly otherwise. Monthly deliveries are February and March 24th, then to be announced. Produce is usually laid out on the table at the farm, either in baskets or often under moist burlap sacks. Loose greens are placed in cloth bags. Look for the sign that indicates how much by weight or count you should take. The farm provides baskets for you to use or bring your own containers. Please be prompt about returning baskets each week. Sometimes during the winter pick up will be at my residence (284 Redwood Ave). This is because many of the storage crops are kept at my home, the weather may be cold and wet, and the daylight hours short.

We encourage farm members to visit and even volunteer to help with chores, uh, I mean physically stimulating and rewarding exercise. I will set regular volunteer hours at some point, otherwise call me at 456-0760 if you want to participate early. Because the elementary school doesn’t want people just wandering across campus during school hours, check in with the front office to get a visitor pass if you come during the day. It is best if you park your car in the front of the school and walk to the farm during school hours. I appreciate knowing if you want to come to the farm during school hours so I can let you know whether I’ll be there. Sometimes I have off-site work to do, running errands, fixing tools, etc. and don’t want you to show up and be disappointed. During the summer I tend to take long lunches to avoid mid-day heat and may even fall asleep.

When visiting the farm I ask that everybody keep their feet on the paths. Beds have soft, fluffy soil that compacts easily. A bed that looks empty may have germinating seeds in it. I am glad to do some informal teaching to the volunteers and curious visitors, but keep in mind I also get anxious to sow crops on time and complete a busy harvest day. Help keep the site clean and the tools in good shape by picking up at the end of the day and putting things back into the tool chest. There’s usually enough tools to share with visitors, but you may need your own gloves.

A Bit of History. During 2008 some of the produce went to school lunches and snacks, mostly through the preschool. Grants have been sought to pay for extra time in the school cafeteria so more fresh veggies and fruits can be included. We’ll see what happens with those. I truly enjoy visits by students, which tend to be concentrated in Aug-Sept and May-June. The school garden program is developing a site within Brookside Farm, so by late this spring and certainly by summer, there should be a lot of student activity about. In addition to the food plantings, Brookside Farm has incorporated plants that smell great, have various colors and textures, and attract a variety of life forms. This diversity has ecological, educational and aesthetic value.

Past farm membership fees were very important to help establish the essential infrastructure. This year will include a solar electric system! Current income goes towards paying the farmer (that would be me) a monthly salary of $1000. I am officially a self-employed independent contractor who bills North Coast Opportunity as the Farm Manager. Long-term plans include a greenhouse, storage barn, and compost shed. With a few thousand dollars above membership fees the farm could be in good shape by being able to purchase replacement tools, slowly build more infrastructure and save a bit just in case. I still seek donations and grants.

A Look at 2009. I have had the pleasure the past few days of planning for the 2009 spring and summer planting seasons. The past couple of years have taught me a great deal about what tends to work really well and what is marginal. Certain plants I have found are just not worth the effort. Unfortunately this includes spinach and basil. Also, many of the fall-planted vegetables tend to perform badly. I would rather invest in good cover crops and have better opportunities in the spring and summer. So, the crop plan is a bit leaner on diversity, but emphasizes more of what is likely to succeed.

I am also reducing the area planted for crops that take up a lot of space, such as potatoes and winter squash, with the goal of planting them elsewhere in Little Lake Valley in partnership with a few other farmers. So the area being cultivated at Brookside will be smaller this year than in the past, but on the upside I expect better management of the space being used, more compost available per area, and a focus on crops with a good track record of performance.

Trees and berries are in their third year and may produce a small amount this year. Their success may be water dependent. It has been a joy to prune the trees into shape this past month.

The water situation is making me nervous. California farmers are getting hammered right now and many fewer acres of vegetables will be planted in 2009 than is typical (see: http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D95UEV200.htm). I was very water-use efficient last year, and hope that the 14,000 gallon tank being planned to capture from the preschool roof gets installed in time to be of service this year.

Thanks again for being a supporter and eater of Brookside Farm produce for 2009. I believe you get a great food value for the membership. My estimate is that the average cost of produce for the year comes out to about $2.00 per pound, which is probably less than what grocery stores charge currently. If two people shared a share, it would take care of most of their annual vegetable needs (they would still want fruit) at a cost of about $1.00 per day. Considering what a latte sells for, I am proud to offer this kind of value.

Onward Hoe!

Jason

No comments: